Monday, August 11, 2008

Update on It Figures' Aussie Beauty


I hadn't seen Dianne Lyons for years, and your email requests made me track her down. I found her working at a terrific multi-sport facility called Calgary Winter Club where she was recently voted by the staff and members as INSTRUCTOR OF THE YEAR. The Winter Club also awarded her its Service Excellence Award. It does not surprise me that she is so respected and loved there. She was working on her fitness certifications when we were taping the It Figures series. I know her to be a reliable, honorable, hardworking gal who is down to earth and approachable. And yes, she still looks FABULOUS!


We sat down for a chat and a cup of tea. Here's my question and answer dialog with one of your favorite It Figures TV gang.

Dianne Lyons


Can you tell us about how you keep fit nowadays? What is your current favorite exercise format?
I instruct several fitness classes weekly. My favorite is a combination of twenty minutes of cycling, twenty minutes of core work and twenty minutest of yoga. Beyond that, I enjoy running and power walking on my own time.

Is there any exercise you can no longer enjoy and really miss?
I love swimming, but I can't take the chlorine, so I avoid the pool.

What keeps you motivated to be physically active?
I seek an overall sense of well being in mind, body and spirit. Being fit makes me feel empowered.

What is your work nowadays?
I teach specialty group fitness, traditional group fitness and personal training/fitness consulting.

What is your proudest accomplishment of the last decade?
Furthering my education has been a good decision for me. I really enjoy being a part of the fitness industry.

What is your greatest pleasure these days?
I find such joy in watching my daughter Brittany achieve her dreams. She graduated from the University of Calgary with honors in Health Sciences and is now doing graduate studies at an American university. Watching her is like seeing a bud flower into full bloom.

What concerns you most about our world today?
I am saddened by the cynicism and selfishness. I think most people are good, and there's no reason to always expect the worst.

Have any advice you’d like to give other baby boomers?
Just be kind to yourself and extend compassion to other people and animals. Be warm hearted rather than cold hearted.

Do you ever think about retirement and what you would like to do?
I really don't see myself retiring. I like people and want to stay involved. If I didn't work for pay, I'd do volunteer work just for the love of people.

Do you still have close ties to your native Australia?
Yes, my parents and siblings still live there. I go back "down under" for an extended period every two years. Though I officially became a Canadian citizen last year, Australia will always be an important part of me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dianne!

It's so great to see that you're doing so well. Best wishes in all that you do.

Thanks Char for the update. Looking forward to more! What a treat!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen this website in a while......nice to see the updates on people. Loved the early pics of Charlene and the wicker chair, which I remember. I started exercising with Charlene in 1978.

Lorraine F. said...

Charlene... I miss you and the gang SO much. I have all of your videos, including the TV shows and do them daily. I have been a loyal viewer and doer since 1981. I loved reading up on the gang. How is Lonnie and Jennifer? You have been such a big influence on my life. I have my Masters degree in Exercise Physiology and my own Personal Training business. You are the BEST! Hope to see some new videos soon. (Hint-Hint.)